Eagan, Minnesota Area Information and Real Estate Resources
Located just south of Saint Paul in Dakota County, Eagan is a desirable community that had a population of about 64,000 as of the 2010 Census.
Situated along the south bank of the Minnesota River, this community was originally settled as a rural Irish farming community.
It later had the distinction of being nicknamed the “Onion capital of the United States!”
This community was named after Patrick Eagan, who was the first chairman of the town board of supervisors.
The community grew relatively slowly until about 1980, when Highway 77 was expanded and a new six-lane bridge over the Minnesota River was constructed.
These construction projects attracted plenty of people to the area, making Eagan an ever-growing city!
Today the 33.43-square-mile community is primarily a commuter-town for those working in Minneapolis and St. Paul, although there are a number of major companies who have headquarters in Eagan, including:
- Northwest Airlines (now Delta Air Lines)
- Thomson West (now Thomson Reuters)
Other top employers in Eagan include:
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota
- U.S. Postal Service
- United Parcel Service
- Coca-Cola Refreshments
- Wells Fargo Home Mortgage
- Argosy Unviersity
Eagan’s quality of life as well as its strong local job industry helped establish this Minnesota community as the 14th best place to live in the country by Money Magazine.
Recreational Amenities in Eagan
This community is home to the Eagan Core Greenway, which is an on-going project to preserve its green space.
Patrick Eagan Park and a two-mile greenway that connects the park to Lebanon Hills Regional Park are part of this effort.
What’s more, Eagan boasts a fantastic location near a number of major thoroughfares, which puts it in close proximity to recreational amenities all throughout the region. These thoroughfares include:
- Interstate Highway 35E
- Interstate Highway 494
- Minnesota Highways 13, 55, 77, and 149
Education in Eagan
Eagan residents are served by three public school districts:
- Independent School District 191
- Independent School District 196
- Independent School District 197
Specifically, residents living here frequently attend:
- Burnsville High School
- Eagan High School
- Eastview High School
- Henry Sibley High School
- School of Environmental Studies
- Blackhawk Middle School
- Dakota Hills Middle School
- Falcon Ridge Middle School
- Friendly Hills Middle School
- Metcalf Junior High School
- Deerwood Elementary School
- Glacier Hills Elementary School
- Northview Elementary School
- Oak Ridge Elementary School
- Pilot Knob Elementary School
- Pinewood Community School
- Rahn Elementary School
- Red Pine Elementary School
- Rosemount Elementary School
- Thomas Lake Elementary School
- William Byrne Elementary School
- Woodland Elementary School
Meanwhile, there are also a number of high-performing private schools in the area, including:
- Faithful Shepard Catholic School
- Trinity Lone Oak Lutheran School
- The Blake School
- Breck School
- Groves Academy
- Torah Academy of Minneapolis
- DeLaSalle High School
- Minneahaha Academy
- St. Paul Academy
- Benilde-St. Margaret’s School
Your Dedicated Eagan, Minnesota Real Estate Experts
We’re your dedicated Eagan REALTORS® and we’ll be happy to assist you by answering any questions you may have as well as telling you about available listings.
For now, we encourage you to take a few moments to browse some of our online relocation resources, which include: