Pumpkin spice is back, there’s a cool breeze in the air, and the sunlight feels a bit more golden than glaring. Yes, fall is here at last, and you are ready to embrace the season and bring the fall vibes indoors. This may seem challenging, especially if you’re renting an apartment, but it’s easier than you think with these four simple, affordable tips to creating a cozy apartment for autumn.
Bring Nature Indoors
While you may think that flowers and greenery are for spring and summer, there’s plenty of natural beauty available in the fall.
- Create a table centerpiece with brightly colored leaves, gourds, and pine cones in a decorative bowl or small wooden crate or even a small bowl of acorns on a side table can add a little autumnal flair.
- Set floral arrangements in gold, brass, or bronze-colored vases or wooden containers. Choose fall flowers like chrysanthemums, sunflowers, black-eyed Susans, and asters in bold, vibrant reds, oranges, and yellows (If you don’t have a green thumb, artificial flowers are just as good!).
- Fill a clear, tall vase with brilliantly colored leaves collected from outdoors.
- Open the windows on sunny days to let the fresh fall air inside.
Decorate with Pottery
Display red, orange, gold, and brown ceramic mixing bowls, cookie jars, and other ceramic or pottery on your counters and shelves for simple, inexpensive decoration. If you don’t have any, you can do it yourself with inexpensive white pieces from a secondhand store and a bit of acrylic or craft paint. Go with solid colors, add glitter, or use stencils and different colors of paint to create a fall pattern on your pottery and seal it with Mod Podge – just don’t paint and seal the inside of your pieces if you plan on using the bowl to hold food like apples or cookies.
Add Soft Textures
Nothing says “cozy” like soft, warm fabrics and textures, especially in Minneapolis when the chill takes hold early.
- Drape cozy throw blankets over your favorite chair or sofa in chenille, fleece, or chunky knits;
- Cover throw pillows in plaid or burlap for a warm, earthy feel.
- Add a soft quilt to your bed;
- Switch to flannel sheets and pillowcases;
- Put a soft rug down over tile or wood floors;
Enjoy Fall Fragrances
Pumpkin, apple, cinnamon, coffee, and other warm scents can make your apartment feel instantly cozy and comfortable. Wax melts in your favorite scent and a pretty, autumn-themed wax warmer is a simple, inexpensive way to fill your home with your favorite fragrance. More natural ways to bring your favorite scent into your home include:
- A small bowl near your door filled with coffee beans;
- A few handmade scented soaps in a dish in your bathroom;
- An essential oil diffuser with clove, cinnamon, orange, or cedarwood essential oils.
- Mix 1/2 cup of baking soda and six drops of your favorite essential oil in a jar, place a fall-themed piece of thin, cotton fabric over the jar and secure with a ruber band. Shake it from time to time for a light scent and add a bit of oil every few weeks.
- Simmer water on the stove and add orange slices and cinnamon sticks. Turn off the heat and let the pot sit on the stove, allowing the steam to flow through your home.
Find Your Perfect Apartment in Uptown This Fall
If you are looking for a new apartment for rent in Uptown, we have several historic buildings with beautiful apartments available. To learn more or schedule a tour, reach out to the team at Stutsman Realty, Inc. at
952-927-4144 or fill out the form below to learn more.